Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The Simple Truth About Macarons...

I've upgraded myself from just merely baking cupcakes to making macarons. I don't really understand what's the craze for macarons all about. I am totally turn off by the price, a macaron costs more than a plate of chicken rice from the hawker stall. So, I've heard that it's really really hard to make macarons. How hard can it be? I thought it was really hard to bake a cake and I thought it was really hard to cook and I thought it was really hard to make delicious cupcakes with the right texture... I thought about almost everything until I've tried to make them myself...
The hardest part wasn't in separating the egg whites from the yolks... I have separated 30 eggs for a layer cake. The only difficult part would be sieving the almond flour and confectioner's sugar. That should be the hardest part, not hardest but time-consuming. 
Hey~! That's my first time using a wooden ladle to stir the mixture. I've always used the electric mixer but I just wanted to get the correct texture as I heard that it's really important to get the texture right or else everything can just end up in the rubbish dump.
 I admit that they didn't look that presentable... I'm just a first timer but the amount of sugar used will just shoot up your blood glucose level. That one small cute little macaron is a real heart time bomb compared to dim sum. People has always pointed out that a plate of dim sum contained so much fat that it's gonna clog your arteries one day and you'll die of heart attack. Eat more macarons and I bet you're gonna have diabetes and your toes are gonna fall off one by one  pretty soon. I don't understand why must they sell a macaron at RM3.50 per piece or some at RM4.50 when it's not that hard to do at all. Some claimed that the ingredients that they use are air-flown... oh... oh... how true is that? 

And all those macarons placed at the glass counter on display and for sale, how long have they been kept there? Macarons should be eaten fresh within 12 to 24 hours. If they are refrigerated, at most 3 days... so I guess everyone is made to pay for whatever that ended up in the rubbish dump... wanna know the cost price for one macaron? It's roughly around 50 cents and definitely less than RM1.

I'm not attacking macarons but I just don't like how the price has been jacked up sky high...

No comments: