Tuesday, June 03, 2014

I'm Malaysian.... We're Malaysians...

After traveling to first world countries, I see that most of the people in first world countries have third world mentalities. Two years back, I have someone asked me whether we, Malaysians live on treetops. Hello~! What year was it now? My house is probably more modern than yours. And this year itself, surprising enough, a lady who sat next to me in the bus *I will show you which lady as you follow me in my travels to Taiwan* This lady made a remark that made me sat up straight. I felt so insulted with this Taiwanese lady that if she's not older than I am, I would have lashed out on her. That lady has come to Malaysia before and she mentioned that Malaysia has left a very bad image in her pea brain.
We're Malaysians~!
According to the Taiwanese lady, Malaysians are one messy lot of people. Mainly because of our skin colour. I wasn't that fair either when I was in Taiwan so, she said I have dirty colour. My gosh... that was so insulting. I thought the whites who are racists would only say that to the blacks. I'm not even black neither am I white. I'm brown. We, Malaysians are brown~!!!!!!!! What is wrong with brown? If it's dirty, please don't eat chocolate. That makes chocolate looks like the colour of your shit. By the way, my Malay hostess is fairer than I am. So, does that make me the 'dirtiest' of all? 
Nasi pulut durian~!!
This is my first time attending the traditional Malaysian style durian party. Come on, most Chinese enjoy this as well. That's the stinky durians which taste wonderful, mix with the cooked coconut milk, a few teaspoons of sugar and some glutinous rice. Is your health siren giving a loud cry? Give thanks, eat and be merry. I usually feast on durians alone, never with glutinous rice. So I gave it a try. 
Hand-squashing style.... that's finger smackin' good...
And another remark that the Taiwanese lady made that I retaliated in a gentle manner. She said Malaysians are so unhygienic because Malaysians eat with their hands. That makes me wonder which part the lady has visited that ALL Malaysians eat with their hands. I ate with my hands whenever I like it since in primary school. Unhygienic my arse! We have no tummy ache or anything. We're fitter than anybody else after consuming hot and spicy and sweet and sour and salty and raw and whatever you can think of. No issues of diarrhea. I showed and painted an imaginary picture for the Taiwanese lady who was sitting beside me while eating her box of lunch with the smelly bamboo shoot and showed her how my hands would squash the food. I was kind enough not to do it on her rice. But she covered her lunch box immediately and put it back into her bag. Good.... do not insult a foreign tourist. Before anyone travels to another country, please do some research first.
Simply Malaysian~!
  1. We, Malaysians, do not stay on a treetop.... we do climb up trees when we were small but modern kids climb trees via their electronic gadgets if there is such a game which requires them to climb up a tree...
  2. Not everyone eats with their hands... and we do wash our hands... *doink*
  3. If you think Malaysian food is gross, to us, yours is as gross, too....
  4. If you think we have dirty colours, go bleach yourself.....
  5. And YES, we remove our shoes when we enter a person's house... if you wear your dirty shoes into my house, I will make you sweep and mop the floor and you will be blacklisted from coming to my house.
  6. If there's not enough chairs, we are more than happy to sit on the floor... Your floor must be too dirty for anyone to sit, ours is not....
  7. Different country, different ethnicity, different lifestyle... get your facts right... if don't know, ask... if not sure, ask... You don't find everything in Google.... 
  8. If you think that lady wearing headscarf is a terrorist, you have only yourself to terrorize.... you're mad.... 
  9. If you think we only speak Malay language, you must be rather shallow in your knowledge. Malaysians can speak Malay language (our national language, which I'm proud of with my Penang slang), English language, Mandarin, Hokkien dialect (something like Taiwan's national language, I bargain my way in Taiwan using their language), Cantonese dialect (we can survive in Hong Kong), Teochew dialect (can survive in the village of Teochew people in China)... we're multi-lingual people.
  10. Do not believe everything you read in the newspapers.... the politicians can bicker away, we're not politicians... we're just merely Malaysians.... 
Just having a conversation.... 
This is called fellowship. It's just a simple gathering with simple food and much laughter to share with. A glimpse of how Malaysians go about in their lives. Do come to Penang island, you will know what is a food haven.... 

No comments: