Saturday, November 10, 2012

Old Shekou's Wet Market...

 I'm a fan of seafood but the funny thing was Pinky's dad didn't know about it. He just said that it would be a place that's worth visiting and it's worth visiting alright...~! *woots* It was a fish market where there were lots and lots of fish and all types of shells still swimming around in water. The floor was really wet but it wasn't stinky with fishy smell.
There were dead fish sold on the marble-top stall just like what we have back here but it seemed like no one was interested with dead fish. Everyone just wanted the live fish, swimming around and not swimming on its side... that would be sign of dying very soon. The price was so cheap I wouldn't mind buying back a bucketful of fresh seafood for grandma to cook.
 Let me show you some of the seafood sold at the fresh market. That's the fresh scallop cost only 3 yuan per piece. That would be RM1.50 for FRESH SCALLOP. What did you think I do? I bought them all and bargained for a lower price... gosh... I wouldn't mind paying the full price but it was my immediate response to bargain down the price before making any purchases. We went to Shekou's fish market two days in a row. The next time I'm there, I'm gonna carry a large tub and bring it back, riding on the subway. Pinky and I found the MTR station... smart, aren't we?
And that's puffer fish which none of us dare to try. It might be poisonous and I wouldn't want to die of food poisoning in a foreign land. 
We ran away seeing this. They looked like a whole basket of red worms to me but it's a type of sea creature. The lady told us to try some by just deep-frying them so that they would be crunchy... eeewwww... creepy crawlies down the throat... no way man...
If you've never tried eating a stone fish, you should try it. The flesh was so different I wouldn't mind buying it again. But I didn't buy it from Shekou's fish market. I bought it at the market near Pinky's house when I went to the market with grandma. Grandma has never seen it before but in the end, grandma has the chance to cook it.... hehehehehe.... thanks to mua.....
I call this the penis-clam... Pinky's dad almost fainted looking at this... he asked me a hundred times whether I was seriously buying it... I said YES~! Muahahahaha... I've seen this before in seafood restaurants but it was always the Australian Geoduck... and since the Australian Geoduck was super expensive, I bought the Chinese Geoduck... which was really cheap but I couldn't remember the price at all... because that was like 7 months ago when I was there, shopping for seafood. 
You don't have to worry about how to dissect and clean that penis clam. It would be done for you in the market itself. There were sections which needed to be removed. 
Grandma stir-fried the penis clam with broccoli... grandma's very creative in her cooking... One was not enough and it was so sweet and tasty, next time, I would buy the whole container... thank for Malaysian Ringgit which was two times more than China's yuan...

No comments: