Sunday, December 08, 2013

Yen's Kitchen: The First Flower Scrolls and Loaf...

It was my first time using the bread maker. I was thinking of making the first loaf, the simplest white loaf. It's like baking a cake. I've gone to such a level that I was not able to bake the simplest sponge cake. I failed right until now. So, the white loaf didn't appear. I think it was never meant to be for me to try out simple stuff. I couldn't remember who ask me the question that since I started with such a complicated recipe, how was I going to downgrade? The answer would be... I can't.... I don't know how to downgrade. The food that is coming out from the kitchen, the standard has been set way too high this time round.
The first time I see a bread maker working. I was fascinated when it started turning. Such a small blade could turn such heavy dough. That time when we used our hands, I could feel my muscles building up. Hey, it's my first time using it and I was hovering at the small little glass opening to peep into it. I was just standing there, mesmerized by the box-like machine, simply a bread maker which I bought at the spur of the moment. It's very dangerous when I walk around the shopping mall. I've never like shopping for those clothes, bags, shoes and definitely not accessories. I don't wear any of that kind and I don't even touch make-up or lotions. So, the best place you can find me will be the shops selling kitchen or electronic stuff but most of the time I'm in the cinema.

Okay, going back to my bread maker. To prepare the dough, it would take more than an hour. When it started to beep, marking the end of time according to the programmed function, we were really excited. I removed the dough, perfectly churned out and hubby and I used the rolling pin to flatten it out.

It's like making a cinnamon rolls. Mind you... I've never make cinnamon rolls before and I don't eat cinnamon rolls. I grew up eating bread. I came from a not well-to-do background with no silver spoon in my mouth. I'm never bored eating Gardenia white bread with only butter. It has been like that for many many years. I'm satisfied with a simple meal of bread with butter or bread with half-boiled eggs. Love them till this day. Then, it's bread with Nutella once in awhile. Nutella hazelnut chocolate spread is just getting too expensive. I'm a sausage bun addict and once in a while, I'll have the luxury of eating cheese sticks. 
Yen's Rose Scrolls...
Ish... I'm always running out of the main topic. Go back to the scrolls. You flatten the dough until it looks like a thin flat carpet then sprinkle with everything you wanted. Sprinkle... that's one word that have been abused in recipe instructions. If you use your common sense, it's not sprinkle... it's spreading widely.... or should I say spreading generously... Let it pour... if the recipe says 140g of cheddar, that's probably the most minimal you should use... I doubled almost everything. When it comes to fillings, I don't follow the measurements. Put as much as you like. The measurements given were just guidelines that's not to be followed :D

The bread that I chose... I didn't choose... you wanna know how I prepare my weekly menu? I just hold on to any recipe books or magazines that I have, then I simply open them, read them and took up the challenge to do it no matter how difficult it was. So... there... there... I got that... roll up and then cut them. Shove the whole lot into the oven and wait for the 'TING' sound. 
Seed and Grain Cottage Loaf... for the health freak...
The texture was just awesome. We have to bid goodbye to Gardenia and Massimo and all other bakeries in town. Goodbye... Yen's Kitchen will produce own healthy loaves and scrolls and buns from now on. And yeah... my very own burger buns for McJu... so bye bye to Arab bread... I will have my own size, as I wish... 

No comments: