Saturday, September 08, 2012

Once Upon a Breakfast in Shenzhen...

How could you say NO to the array of food nicely displayed at the counter top? That was the best dim sum I've ever had after 5 days of not having good food in Beijing. The Indonesia Seafood Restaurant has lots and lots of scrumptious food. Pinky was still in dreamland while I chose to go with the whole family for a wonderful breakfast. 
As it was a Saturday, the crowd was exploding in the seams of the restaurant. We were suppose to queue up and wait for the table but grandma went straight to a table that has just emptied a minute ago. A young waitress told me that we shouldn't just sit there, we should wait to be seated like others who were at the queue. I told grandma that and she said not to bother about that as they are regular customers. This wasn't my first time at the restaurant. It was my second while grandma and grandpa could be seen in the restaurant every morning without fail. Grandma stood up and walked over to the manageress who apologized profusely for the mistake uttered by the young waitress. The dirty table was cleared within seconds and a new table cloth was spread on the table top. Grandma did not even raise her voice, but she just put her arm around the manageress while speaking in her sweet voice... hey, moral of the story was: A voice raised might not be heard, but a friendly tone will always be noted. 
The serving of dim sum in the few restaurants in China that I went to was a bit different. The dishes would not be served from table-to-table like what we have back home. Everyone MUST walk to the counter and start picking or pointing at what they want. They were elbowing one another in a very rough manner like the food might be gone in a second... which was actually true, the platter of deliciously deep-fried dim sum disappeared rather fast. I have no skills in elbowing  as they were professional elbowers. I'm not even train to do that. Grandma went and I followed after her, not to take food but I was more afraid that they might push her. I think I should known better, grandma is made of steel. Grandma has such a look that people automatically make way for her and gave her the honour to grab the food first. Grandma grabbed lots and lots of food.
There were so many things to eat. I pity the hungry Pinky who was still snoring away in her bed. She was too tired to even get up earlier for breakfast. We tried calling her but she sleeps like a log, just like me. I miss the time back in Shenzhen... I definitely DO NOT MISS BEIJING... but if we go again, we're gonna go on our own....
Frog porridge was the best~! Pinky waltz into the restaurant when only 10% of the food was left on the table. She did justice to the food. The table was sparkling clean when we left it. That was the last time I had breakfast there as we were bouncing off to some other places since I have only 4 days left... I think....

No comments: