Sunday, June 09, 2013

Only in Malaysia...

Thinking through, I have to consider myself as the city type. I do 'balik kampung' but my grandparent's house was a huge bungalow standing tall on its own on a huge piece of land with the timber factory in the compound itself. I've been brought up in a stone house, not a wooden house and the size of my house is getting bigger and bigger. It's not shrinking in size and if the Lord allows, I think it will grow bigger in future. I hope. Thus, to experience a stay in the village around, or just to walk around the small fisherman village, it has it's magical touch on its own. There are many hidden jewels in Malaysia and I'm proud to be a Malaysian.
If you have the notion that a small fisherman village is a poor village then I think it's time to change your perception. A fisherman's village is definitely not a poor village. They have everything there and some may even monopolize the cockle industry, the fishing industry or even the charcoal industry. These industries are not well-known among the young adults of today but they are like treasures, a money-spinning industry. If I have a father who is involved in one of these industries, no matter how yucky and hard the labour is, I won't mind taking over the empire.
Kuala Sepetang even boasts of the most delicious prawn crackers and salted fish. We didn't buy the salted fish because we don't eat salted fish and I don't want the car to stink all the way through. 
Then we were walking towards the jetty to go see fireflies. I have a really great imagination. It was because I have seen fireflies before in Kuala Selangor where one tree was so brightly lit like a Christmas tree. I thought we're gonna see the whole stretch of mangrove trees being lighted up. The journey took quite a while and we had to go through houses built on stilts like what we have in Chew Jetty or whatever jetty over here in Penang. We busied ourselves taking photos. It's like my short family trip with everyone I love in it. I hardly travel in a large group... if you know me well you will know why I don't usually travel in a large group. But I'm okay with this one, no hiccups. 
I have my mama, my hubby, my girls and my crazy cousin and also my nephew. Yeah... I have many nephews and nieces. I have stepchildren as well... hey, come to think of it I seem to have a very large family. Oh, I saw the sunset. I'm neither the sunrise nor the sunset person. I missed the sunrise because I couldn't wake up but until now, I've seen the sunrise twice. I saw the sunset twice as well.... hahahahhaa....
We were really having a great time together... and as crazy as I am, we waved to a group of locals waiting for their ferry ride at another jetty. They waved back... anyone will respond to a humble gesture...
We had seafood dinner... sorry I can't post up all the photos of what we had for dinner... I can only post up the photos of what was left of the dinner. It was really delicious because we were so hungry that we almost chewed on the table. We had a really late dinner, more like having a heavy supper. After almost finishing everything, my precious, my couzy and I felt that nothing actually entered our stomachs. That's because we had to stand up to reach over to the dishes. But in the end we did burp... sign of pure satisfaction. There were lots of mosquitoes there. My girls killed at least 19 mosquitoes while waiting for the food. If there's no food, I think I'll start swallowing the mosquitoes...
The full moon was out. Although I don't have any professional skill in photography, I did manage to get the shining moon up there in the black sky.

No comments: