Thursday, April 29, 2010

Penang's Celebrity Food...

No...no... don't get me wrong. It's not like Char Koay Teow is the food for celebrities. It's the most famous hawker food. It's number one since I don't know when... and I don't know what's so special about it. Why must it be RM5 per plate with just 3 succulent, juicy prawns? Mind you, they're crunchy prawns. Why must it be RM5 be it Ah Leng Char Koay Teow or the one at Padang? The one in Lorong Selamat... oh, wow~! RM 7 sometimes RM9...
It's not my favourite food. I eat it when I start being choosy and picky on hawker food. And I am in fact very choosy. I can stare at at least 20 stalls and then I say it out loud,"There's nothing to eat~!"
Tell you what's in there. There's koay teow (I don't know what's that in English), dark soy sauce, soy sauce, a handful of bean sprouts, chives (ku chai), one small chicken egg or you can ask for a duck egg if they have (I tried that but I can't taste the difference between chicken eggs and duck eggs maybe because my whole body system is filled with chicken eggs), lard (loathe it).... the result... a plate of tasty and extremely oily yet people always say,"Simply delicious~! One more plate~!"
Usually, I will order mine, repeating it a few times just in case I didn't get what I wanted. No chilli~! No bean sprouts~! Less oil~! More prawns if can but same price. If I see bean sprouts, I will gladly return the whole plate or else I will have a hard time picking them out and leaving them by the side of the plate.... decorative vege...

No comments: