Wednesday, May 04, 2011

I'm A Certified Banana...

A banana... yellow on the outside, yellowish-white on the inside. When a Chinese is described as a banana, it means that the person is a pure Chinese but can't speak Chinese, we speak English. Most of my friends are also certified bananas. I always think I'm better because I can speak Mandarin and a few of the Chinese dialects like Hokkien and Teochew. I have no problem understanding Singapore Chinese. But if you use the China's 'putonghua' with me, I'll stare at you with a lot of imaginable signs and wonders coming out of my head... Nowadays, I choose to relax by watching a movie every night. My home made cinema. I have no problems understanding IpMan 1 and IpMan 2 also starred by Donnie Yen but when I watched The Lost Bladesman, I was completely lost. So lost until at the end of the movie I only realized that Donnie Yen acted as Guan Yu. And I have no idea whether the lady in the movie was his wife or his sister-in-law or his sister. And I have completely no idea who killed him and how did his head ended in the coffin. Completely no idea to what had happened between Cao Cao and was Cao Cao the emperor? I have never been so lost in a movie before. When I watched Chinese movies, I rely heavily on either the English or Malay subtitles but the subtitle for this movie sucks to the max. There's not even a sentence that I can understand. Not even one... I just know that he was fighting for his dear life, slashing away with his sword, got drugged, running away to the hills, running back to settle old scores. In the end, he died... or did I get the ending wrongly as well... I'm the Lost Bladewatcher...

No comments: