Sunday, October 01, 2017

Oz Day 14: Sydney Fish Market...

~ 19th November 2015 ~
Mi madre and I made our way to Central and from there we managed ourselves to get to the Fish Market. There was nothing to shout about with this place. I would choose Queen Victoria's Market in Melbourne at any point of time but if you're staying in Sydney, then you have no choice. I think most locals will not find their way there as well. You can simply get your seafood from other markets.
After looking at China's wet market, I will say that the seafood in China is the freshest of all. Every stall has aquariums where the fish are swimming healthily. Even the prawns in the basket container are alive and kicking. Therefore, no other country should ever boast that they have fresh seafood when the fish are all dead and sleeping on ice cubes. Even the chickens are alive and clucking away. The only thing dead are the pigs.
After looking around at different stores, mi madre and I went to have our live lessons on vegetables. The only thing we find rather expensive would be lemongrass because we took it for granted as we plucked lemongrass directly from our garden. Banana leaves - we just cut from directly from the banana trees. Pandan leaves and lime leaves all from the garden. I would recommend going to Musumeci Seafood to get your seafood.
We had our breakfast at BBQ Grill, Fish Market Cafe. Scallops with salmon topped with cheese and mayo... yummy~! Then there's fish, dunno what fish, can't remember.
Before we head back, we bought the sea cockles. That's the first time we have seen sea cockles as every time we only had blood cockles. When we came home, we finally found sea cockles just at the market outside our house. Then, I made a mistake by buying a fusilier fish. It's actually 'ikan tofu' which Tesco Penang used to sell. I think Tesco is still selling it. You're not suppose to steam a fusilier fish. The fish bloom like a sunflower and it turned out like a monster served on a platter. 
Don't deep fry fresh seafood. You only deep fry seafood that's starting to smell yet still edible. If it's fresh, then steam it. Even without dressing and gravy, it will taste good. Trust me. I'm a foodie. Don't broil fresh seafood as well. All the goodness will end up in the pot of water going down the sink. 
I made dinner for Ah Ching and hubby for the day. Let me go to the market and give me a kitchen that I can work in. I can cook up a storm with whatever's in the kitchen.
Let me share with you the story of the spanner crab. Manhattan Fish Market in Queensbay Mall used to sell spanner crabs at one point of time. At that time, I was curious to try it out. We were waiting to be seated but the waiter told us there's no place but I saw an empty table from the corner of my eyes. As the waiter kept saying no place for us, suddenly a family just walked over to the table and sat themselves. I was quite pissed off with the waiter as he said he could not do anything as they have landed their ass on the chairs. Ooooo... I walked away and never had the chance to try the spanner crabs. When I saw this in Sydney, I did some mental calculation and decided not to try them as it's not worth paying for the shell. God knows what I want in my stomach. The story of the spanner crab will continue as we landed in Gold Coast, Australia.

No comments: