Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Penang's #2 Street Food...

Hokkien Mee...


I think most people do not want to know the actual ingredients to this tasty prawny and spicy noodles. Anyway, I still want to talk about it. The preparation took at least 4 hours for most hawkers but it took me the whole nite as I make everything boil in the crockpot. Yes.. you see that right. Prawn heads and prawn shells. Frying them until the orangy stuff from the head oozes out. That's where you get the orange colour for the soup. Not only am I frying those shells that will be termed as domestic waste.... but I scooped everything up after giving a few minutes to cool them down. The blender started whirring in a rather loud noise like you're drilling a hole right through the neighbour's wall. There's a sweet taste to the soup. You'll dip your head into the soup if you're going to use sugar. No point using sugar. It will taste so different you feel like you're killing yourself if you're asked to finish the whole pot of soup. Use pork bones... bones from the shoulder. Not human shoulders... but from a PIG's. The more, the sweeter. Then, more prawn and prawn shells for the next day. Chilli... DIY... if you buy it from outside, the best bet will be it won't be tasty anymore. It's my second time doing this and probably my last unless there's a majority of people who wanted it. I can sell this out and I am confident enough to know that there will be people who will queue up for this. No... not selling at RM3.50 nor will it be at RM7.50. USD12 per bowl... It's spicy enough to eat it with a roll of toilet tissue. The tissue is clean. It's new... not taken from the toilet.

No comments: