Saturday, August 06, 2011

Penang's #4 Street Food...

Mamak Mee Goreng

Indian Fried Noodles


You can get find it in some coffee shops but the best one is in Pulau Tikus. It used to be in Bangkok Lane but I think it has shifted to the opposite side of the road. Well, I need not go to the stall anymore no matter how famous it is because I'm proud to say that the fried noodles that I made, tasted 99.99% like the one in Bangkok Lane. Same texture. Same colour. I blended my own chilli. I didn't pound them as I do not have a mortar and a pestle. It may sound easy if you're asked to fry a plate of noodles. Again, I salute to all the hawkers who has to wake up early in the morning to prepare before frying away in their old yet loyal wok. Potatoes... You need potatoes for this Penang-one-of-its-kind fried noodles. You can't find it in India even if it's started by the Indians. It's from the Indian locals here in Penang. I don't mind telling you, I don't have the time to peel the potatoes. Squids... it's more like mee sotong... but it's not and since it's from my own kitchen, I can add anything that I want and I'm not charging anyone for that :D I just love squids... then I did prepare some beancurds. I'm not a huge fan of beancurds unless it's Japanese tofu because it tasted different. I started frying one plate by one plate after preparing every sauce so that it's within my reach. I don't have to put a few dash of this or that, put it back to the same place, then grab it again in less than 5 minutes. I surely have most of the ingredients that I needed. It's not that difficult to prepare Penang's street food, just that there's too much preparation. Squids need to be cleaned... and the amount of washing before and after cooking... *phew*

No comments: