Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Imagine being forced to marry a stranger

Imagine sharing your husband with five other women

Imagine having eight children in fifteen years

Imagine being married to a man who forced you to treat him as God

Imagine being punished for every act of disobedience

Imagine knowing that your every move is watched

Imagine not being able to protect their young lives from the cult that has destroyed your own

Imagine escaping, and going on a date for the first time at the age of thirty-five


This is a true story, the life of Carolyn Jessop when she was in the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS), borned and bred in such a society, indoctrinated and brainwashed with all Biblical principles which have been stretched into oblivion. Such extremism such as bowing down to the husbands and having no voice of your own. This is the 21st century and such way of living has no stand in this world. I've heard about cult groups but never have I come to reading them in such horrifying details. My rug was pulled straight from my feet. I was turning the page so fast, I refused to even sleep. I pictured myself in Carolyn's shoes. I would turn into a barbarian living in such a world where my wings were not only clipped but felt like my wings have been chopped off before it even grew.


If husband is my ticket to heaven, I would rather stay in hell. If my husband takes another wife into the house, he will know that he will never be able to live to see the next sunrise. This is absurd~! How can a sane person believes in such lies and for Betty Jessop to walk right back into FLDS after all her mother has done for her to have a normal life. A life where she can find her way and soak herself in the love of Jesus instead of living in a cult and having her ticket straight to hell. I hope Bette Jessop will wake up one day and start running for her life before it's too late for her.


God should just wipe the whole community like the city of Sodom and Gomorrah. But God loves His people and will want them to be rescued and walk in the right path again. It's never too late as long as there are people who are willing to sacrifice their time and pour in prayers for their eyes to be opened.


This is one book that one should read and not criticize. Those in FLDS are not stupid, they were barred from getting knowledge and shielded from the outside world. There's no way they can escape unless they have seen the outside world. It's worse than living in caged zoo.

No comments: