Tuesday, October 18, 2016

China Day 5: The Travel Buddy's Big 3-Oh Birthday Dinner~!

~30th January 2016~
Yupz, that's the reason why she's adamant to come back without checking with her supervisor. She booked her flight before getting her leave approved. Thank God her supervisor is a very understanding and kind person but she has to shorten her duration of stay. We discussed about it and asked her to reschedule the flight to a later date. I'm over the big 3-Oh age and I have celebrated with my friends. Hers would be a bigger day as it's her 30th birthday on the 30th of January. 
Look at that face. She's so happy. If only I have practiced the songs she wanted but I did not. I'm still the lazy pianist who sight-read and hit the notes as correct as possible if not I will improvised on the spot to make it sound correct. 
Order using iPad...
The best mushroom dish....
Stuffed tofu... nice...
Pork knuckle...
Dunno what's this... have to wrap with lettuce...
My sweet and sour pork....
That chicken head proved that it's a chicken dish...
Okay la... I like this la...
Goose? Chicken? Duck? I cannot remember.... but it's nice...
Eat all you want... I have three weeks but you have 18 days only... 
Baby abalone...

It's her birthday so she's choosing what to eat. She has been deprived of proper Chinese cuisine for two solid years. Chinese restaurants in Australia cannot be compared than what's at home. The authentic taste because of the easier to get ingredients. She ordered too much and we couldn't move after that.
Grandpa was the happiest at that point of time. He just loved having big family. Chinese would always prefer a round table where plates, bowls and claypots do not have to be passed around. Everyone has the same hand radius to get to the food. If given a choice, I want a round table in my house as well but the kitchen wouldn't fit thus, I have a long table.
I stood at Ichiban browsing through the few pages of cake photos. I was so undecided because I have never tasted their cakes. It turned out to be a really good choice. It was not so sweet so everybody liked it. The travel buddy eats very sweet stuff but grandma would not approve of that. Grandma had a few big pieces. All of us really like the cake. Again, I thank God for the decision to buy her a cake as most traditional Chinese would not celebrate birthday with a creamed cake. Mother actually said no need but I insisted on getting her a cake. Grandma is very health conscious with the many health articles she's reading online. She's one of the rare grandma who doesn't eat rice. Pinky is one granddaughter who cannot live without rice. We rationed her rice intake... hahahahaha and she said we tortured her, wouldn't let her enjoy her short holiday properly. 
While she dissected the cake, I was studying the cake. How did the layer cake end up as the outside covering? How?? How???

No comments: