Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Epiphany of Public Examination...

YES~! STRAIGHT A's~! MERDEKA~! Who's not happy to hear that? Everyone joins in the joyous celebration of having straight A's and the endless streams of congratulations will make you beam and shine like a light bulb.... eventually your face crack from the wide McDonald's smile. I was even elated when I appeared in the Star newspaper more than a decade ago for scoring straight A's in the public examination and being in a premier school, you're the crème de la crème in the world of scholars.

By looking at the statistic of this year's straight A's students, you'll be thinking that we have all the geniuses in our backyard. We do have but are we trying to please ourselves thinking that everyone is smart enough to take over the world like Pinky and the Brain? I've looked at this year's PMR question papers and I have a hearty laugh and I even guarantee them of getting straight A's. The Maths paper is embarrassingly easy, testing them on the basics of Maths instead of letting them tackling questions that needs problem solving skill. Instead, they were given direct questions that even a student who is arithmatically challenged managed to get an A. Yes, I'm proud indeed but am I suppose to tell them,"Enter straight into Science stream and Add Maths will kill all your brain cells come end of January 2011, you'll fall in love with Chemistry and Physics will turn you into a rocket scientist with just a tap on your brain."

There's no standard at all in the public examinations... *shakes head* There's no standard in the English paper at all... the national language paper, I have no comment on that... not bad I can say but not as tough as a decade ago...

No comments: